16 Research Projects
4 Applied Working Groups
The grant scheme funds Research Projects across four themes, and several Applied Working Groups (all may be accessed below by theme; full list here).
Cutting across the selected awards, there are seven emergent themes that highlight the diversity of topics addressed:
- Cultural evolution and collective action to address global problems
- Cultural evolution in human-wildlife interactions and conservation
- Amplifying marginalized voices through cultural evolution research
- Cultural transmission of novel (or global) attitudes that conflict with traditional (or local) attitudes
- Cultural evolution and education
- Cultural evolution and health & well-being
- Cultural evolution in the arts (versus the usual focus on technology)
Research Project Themes
The themes represent areas where there are currently gaps in knowledge and/or opportunities for new disciplinary synthesis, or domains in which we foresee likely benefits to bringing in disciplinary experts to apply an evolutionary approach to understand change in cultural variation both within and between populations.
Applied Working Groups
Alongside the funding of the Research Projects, the grant also funds Applied Working Groups. These are designed by the applicants, to implement Cultural Evolution initiatives with real impact on, for example, policy (e.g. public health, education), politics, business, climate change, conservation and welfare. Each Applied Working Group will organise an international workshop. These workshops will include conversations between academics and relevant non-academics to disseminate Cultural Evolution insights to the general public and engage policymakers in using Cultural Evolution to help solve current and future real-world problems. There may also be the opportunity to join Applied Working Groups once they are up and running. If you would be interested in joining one of the Applied Working Groups, please let us know by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please let us know if you would like to be notified of future activities by filling in this form.